Position Announcement: Paralegal
Pangea Legal Services is a growing non-profit organization based in San Francisco and Santa Clara County. Our vision is to live in a world where individuals can realize their fundamental right to move and resettle around the world with dignity and respect. We work toward this vision through legal representation of immigrants in deportation proceedings, community empowerment, and policy advocacy.
We are seeking a skilled, passionate, and detail-oriented paralegal to join our San Francisco team. The paralegal will work primarily on detained immigration cases, and will help clients prepare and collect documents, conduct public advocacy and media campaigns, and perform other case-specific advocacy. If you are someone with a positive attitude, a passion for producing high-quality work, and a love for the community we serve, then please apply!
- Meet with clients and relatives of detained clients to obtain documents such as affidavits (including from abroad), help clients to enroll in rehabilitation programs, and assist families in applying for benefits
- Write letters to government agencies to gather documents such as police, court, and medical records; travel to these agencies and gather documents in person in time-sensitive cases
- Assist attorneys in legal research, filings, and other preparation for hearings
- Fill out legal forms, prepare applications for employment authorization, and proofread documents
- Communicate regularly with media and congressional representatives to empower clients and lift up their experiences for public advocacy
- Work closely with grassroots partners to create space for client education and community empowerment events
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English and Spanish (native strongly preferred)
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to take a project from start to finish
- Desire to take initiative and invest in Pangea’s growth
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Pangea is a collaborative, nonhierarchical/horizontal organization, where salaries are equal among all staff after the first six months of employment at $52,000/year
- Benefits include professional development training, medical and dental, preventative health benefits, a socially responsible retirement package, and an annual right to move stipend
The start date of this position is flexible (by December 2017), and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. If you believe you might be a good fit, please submit a cover letter, resume, copy of your most recent transcript, and the email and phone number of three references to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please include how the immigration struggle directly impacts you or your family, if applicable. Please indicate “Paralegal” in the subject line of your email.
Pangea is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We believe diversity makes us stronger and we welcome applicants diverse in race, religion, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and other areas.