Removal Defense Attorney in Santa Clara County
Pangea Legal Services (Pangea) is a non-profit organization based in San Francisco and Santa Clara County. We advocate for immigrants in deportation proceedings who have avenues to lawful status through legal representation, community empowerment, and policy advocacy. Our vision is to live in a world where the fundamental right to move is respected by all.
We are recruiting an attorney to join our legal team in Santa Clara County and increase our capacity to represent detained and non-detained immigrants in removal proceedings. In addition to providing legal representation, the attorney will work closely with grassroots partners to develop a community-led deportation defense model that places directly impacted community members at the center of their own defense and advocacy. The attorney will engage in community education, outreach, and advocacy to create and sustain a network of neighborhood-led response teams equipped with the know-how and resources to meet the needs of the immigrant community when faced with detention and deportation. If you are someone with a positive attitude, high standards of excellence, and a love for the community we serve, then please apply!
- Provide direct legal representation to immigrants in removal proceedings
- Coordinate advocacy, public campaigns, and community-led initiatives with family members of clients and grassroots partners
- Work closely with partners to provide know your rights and self-defense education for the community
- Train and supervise interns and volunteers
- Help establish internal policies as our non-profit grows
- Immigration or removal defense experience (including law school experience)
- Proficiency in Spanish (required)
- Ability to take on leadership in various projects, in addition to direct legal services responsibilities
- Desire to invest in and grow with our organization
- J.D. degree with membership in good standing with a State Bar
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Pangea is a collaborative, nonhierarchical/horizontal organization, where salaries are equal among all staff after the first six months of employment at $52,000/year
- Benefits include state bar dues, professional membership fees, medical and dental, preventative health benefits, a socially responsible retirement package, and an annual right to move stipend
The start date of this position is flexible and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and the attorney should be able to start by December 2018. If you believe you might be a good fit, please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, copy of your law school transcript, and three references to email@example.com. Please indicate “South Bay Attorney Application” in the subject line of your email.
Pangea is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We believe diversity makes us stronger and we welcome applicants diverse in race, religion, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and other areas.